I know there are a few of you who have been interested in reading about Down syndrome since Adair was born. As have I, and before we get too far along in this year I just wanted to share some of the things I’ve learned in this last year.
1) Down syndrome is NOT a disease. It is not contagious, nor can it be ‘cured’ or ‘healed. It is not caused by something the mother ate when she was pregnant.
2) Down syndrome is a genetic disorder in which there is MORE THAN USUAL information present on the 21st chromosome. But basically, it is just like the genes that make everyone who they are, how they look (eye color, hair color, height, personality, etc.)
3) There are definite features associated with DS, however, these features can also be present in those who do not have it. Most interestingly, people with DS look more like their families than like one another.
4) Babies with DS are more LIKE other babies than they are different. As with children and adults who have Down syndrome. They have feelings like everyone else, they feel love, they feel pain, etc.
5) Babies with DS will learn to do everything that normal babies do, it just may take a little longer.
6) Babies with DS are not ALWAYS happy :0)
7) I am very glad we are not living in the 70’s, and thankful for the advances in education that have been made for kids with DS.
8) I suppose Adair having Down syndrome is a big part of what makes our family different/special, however, having Down syndrome is not what makes Adair special. It’s the way you can’t help but smile when she smiles or giggles at you, or the way she claps her hands when she likes something. The way she gives big sloppy kisses and snuggles right into your arms when she’s sleepy. And the way she kindly participates in Daudi’s games of bumper cars and wrestling. How pretty and sweet she looks with her sparkly eyes and her cute little pony tails. These are the things that make Adair special and we aren’t sure what we ever did without her :0)
6 comments:
Love you all. We've learned a lot too. And are patiently waiting for you to move home so we can see more of your wonderful selves!
xoxoxo
From Us
I simply cannot believe how happy Adair always looks in your pictures.. .She just makes you want to love her up... She must have great PARENTS... It is amazing what our children can teach us... and make us thankful for!! I agree with Kelty... we can't wait to spend more time with her .. (and the rest of you:) Hugs
Adair is special because she is a daughter, little sister, granddaughter, cousin and best friend!
...she's one beautiful little piece of a great family. One of the cutest, kindest, sweetest & funniest kids I ever met was our little neighbour boy in Virden who had DS. I'll never forget him for that nor for the # of hrs he could spend playing hide & seek! I'll be at least the 3rd to agree that it will be great to have you all closer to "home".
Hello to you all!
I am sure last year was a wonderful year in many ways for your little family. I am always amazed at how much my children teach me...before I had them, I thought I had learned most things in life...now I realize I am just beginning. I am sure Adair will teach you some unique things, as most children do (they all have their little quirks:) ), thank you for sharing what you have learnt. By the way are you moving home soon or is this all speculation? Take care..think of you often
What a beautiful blog...what a beautiful family!
Post a Comment